CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD PDF VERSION
TALBOT COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
POLICY CODE- 10.13-AR
EASTON, MD 21601
COMPLAINT PROCEDURES REGARDING STATE OR FEDERAL STATUTES OR REGULATIONS - AR
A. Complaint - A written statement alleging that Talbot County Public Schools (TCPS) violated a State or Federal statute or regulation that applies to programs supported by Federal funds. A complaint is a request for review of a policy or practice of the school system, but does not constitute a request for a hearing.
B. Resolution - The final decision as to whether or not the violation alleged in the complaint has occurred and any actions deemed necessary to remedy a violation will rest with TCPS.
A. FILING A COMPLAINT
- An organization or an individual may file a complaint with TCPS.
- The complaint shall be in writing, addressed to the Superintendent, and signed by the individual complainant or by an official of the complaining organization.
- Each complaint shall contain:
- Complainants whose allegations fail to meet the requirements are to be notified that they must comply with the requirements in order for the complaint to receive full investigation.
a. A statement that TCPS has violated a requirement of a specific Federal or State statute or regulation applicable to a program and
b. The facts upon which the statement is based.
B. RECEIPT OF COMPLAINT BY TALBOT COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
1. Complaints against TCPS shall be investigated by the Superintendent or his/her designee, who may assign the complaint to the supervisor of a department not named in the complaint for investigation.
COMPLAINT PROCEDURES REGARDING STATE OR FEDERAL STATUTES OR REGULATIONS
2. Initial processing by the investigating supervisor will include:
a. The complainant will be notified by the investigating supervisor or designee
that the complaint is being investigated. Notification will include:
• The date of receipt of the complaint;
• The name of staff assigned to the complaint; and
• TCPS's intent to fully investigate the complaint.
b. Each TCPS department named in a complaint shall receive a copy of this acknowledgement letter as well as a copy of the complaint.
C. INVESTIGATION OF COMPLAINT
1. In order to review and investigate the complaint, the investigating supervisor shall:
a. Interview those persons and examine such documents as may be necessary
to judge the merit of the complaint.
b. Keep detailed records of actions taken to investigate the complaint.
2. Upon completion of the investigation, the investigating supervisor shall report the findings, along with recommended resolutions (when necessary) to the Superintendent for final determination.
D. RESOLUTION OF COMPLAINT
1. The Superintendent or his/her designee shall inform the parties in writing of TCPS's resolution of the complaint and include:
a. TCPS's final decision as to the action that will be taken, if any, in response
to the complaint; and
b. Notice of the right of either party to request that the Board review the final
2. Documentation of any complaint, investigation, and its resolution pursuant to this Policy will be kept on file in the Superintendent's office for five years.