TALBOT COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
POLICY CODE 11.5-AR
EASTON, MD 21601
GIFTS FROM THE PUBLIC - AR
I. Any gifts to schools must be approved by the principal prior to acceptance of the gift. For gifts valued in excess of $1000, prior to making a decision, the principal shall secure approval from the Superintendent using the attached form. Upon acceptance, the gift becomes the property of the Board of Education. Any specific arrangements concerning disposition of the gift shall be in writing by the principal. Otherwise, all use and disposition of the gift will be at the discretion of the school.
- Gifts may be capital items, equipment, supplies, or money.
- Gifts of equipment or capital items which require costs for installation must include funds for this purpose unless waived by the Superintendent. Equipment and capital items must meet Board criteria in order to be accepted. That is, they must be compatible with current or planned inventories.
- When services or utilities hookups are required, prior to acceptance of the gift, the principal shall obtain assurance from the Coordinator of Maintenance that these can be provided within a reasonable cost.
II. When funds from groups, clubs, classes, or organizations are rendered over a period of time and are designated for a specific purpose, the principal shall secure in writing from the donors an understanding that shall be a completion date after which any remaining funds shall revert to the general school fund.
III. When a gift of property is received which qualifies as an item to be added to the school inventory list, the principal shall see that their school’s inventory is duly amended.
IV. Anticipated gifts for the ensuing school year from the school’s Parent-Teacher Association or other affiliated support groups shall be reported annually to the Board of Education during their first October meeting.
(GIFT ACCEPTANCE FORM FOLLOWS)
GIFT ACCEPTANCE FORM
I. General Information
- Description of gift:
- Donor’s Name (s)
- Date when gift will be donated:
- If gift is to be funded over a period of time, state completion date:
- If applicable, state specific arrangements concerning use or disposition of the gift:
- Will gift be added to school inventory?
(NOTE: Please attach a copy of the letter from the donating organization expressing their understanding that after this date the funds, if not spent, shall revert to the general fund to be spent as specified by the principal.)
II. Maintenance/Installation Requirements
- Will the donation require costs for installation or maintenance:
- If so, describe:
- Have funds been included in the donation to cover these costs:
- If not, has the Coordinator of Maintenance waived this requirement:
- Are services or utilities hookups required:
- If so, can these be provided within a reasonable cost prior to acceptance of the gift:
- State date of conversation and person to whom you spoke in the Maintenance Department:
(Principal’s Signature) Date
(Principal’s Signature) Date