TALBOT COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
POLICY CODE 9.6
EASTON, MD 21601
EDUCATION OF ENGLISH LEARNERS
I. Statement of Purpose
It is the purpose of the Board of Education of the Talbot County Public Schools to:
- Assure that each English learner receives an equal educational opportunity, regardless of linguistic background.
- Assure that identified students are offered instruction which enables them to become proficient in English as quickly as possible.
- Assure assessments and placement in appropriate programs.
- Assure that emphasis is placed on mastery of the English language so as to allow for success in school and for future employment.
II. Program Guidelines
The Superintendent will issue administrative procedures for the development and maintenance of appropriate programs which include the following provisions:
- Identifying and assessing incoming English learners for placement in appropriate programs.
- Allocating staff and material resources, based on documented needs and within existing budgetary constraints.
- Assessing English learners annually for proficiency in English language skills.
- Regularly monitoring the academic achievement of English learners.