- English Language Arts (7)
Talbot County's Grade 7 English Language Arts course is based the Maryland State Department of Education's approved Common Core State Curriculum Framework. The course is designed to meet all grade level appropriate Anchor Standards in Language, Reading Information Text, Reading Literature, Speaking & Listening and Writing.
Units of Study will include:
- Prose Analysis: Forms of Prose, Characterization and Point of View
- Unearthing Messages: Theme, Style and Main Idea
- The Arts: Poetry, Exploration and Conventions of Drama and Theater
- Critical Reading and Researching: Non-fiction, Evidence and Argument
Elements of Literature – Second Course – Holt, 2009
Other texts, including grade-level appropriate novels, will be assigned for additional reading and as the foundation for discussion and independent writing.
- Health (7)
Seventh Grade Health is based on the Maryland State Department of Education approved curriculum and National Standards in Health Education. These may be found on the MSDE website.
Course Key Learning/Exit Outcomes:
- Students will use mental and emotional health knowledge, skills, and strategies to enhance wellness.
- Students will use drug knowledge, decision-making skills, and health-enhancing strategies to address the non-use, use, and abuse of medications, alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.
- Students will use knowledge, skills, and strategies to develop sound personal and consumer health practices involving the use of health care products, services, and community resources.
- Students will use human development knowledge, social skills, and health enhancing strategies to promote positive relationships and healthy growth and development throughout the life cycle.
- Students will apply prevention and intervention knowledge, skills, and processes to promote safe living in the home, school, and community.
- Students will use nutrition and fitness knowledge, skills, and strategies to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- Students will apply prevention and treatment knowledge, skills, and strategies to reduce susceptibility and manage disease.
Units will include:
- Mental & Emotional Health
- Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs
- Personal & Consumer Health
- Family Life and Human Sexuality
- Safety and Injury Prevention
- Nutrition and Fitness
- Disease Prevention and Control
- Mathematics (7)
In Grade 7 Mathematics, instructional time should focus on four critical areas:
- Developing understanding of and applying proportional relationships;
- Developing understanding of operations with rational numbers and working with expressions and linear equations;
- Solving problems involving scale drawings and informal geometric constructions, and working with two- and three-dimensional shapes to solve problems involving area, surface area, and volume
- Drawing inferences about populations based on samples.
- Physical Education (7)
Seventh Grade Physical Education is based on the Maryland State Department of Education approved curriculum that may be found on the MSDE website. Maryland Curriculum Framework Standards include Skillfulness, Biomechanical Principles, Motor Learning Principles, Exercise Physiology, Physical Activity and Social-Psychological Principles.
Course Key Learning/Exit Outcomes:
- The student will apply and demonstrate the basic components of offense and defense in a modified game.
- The student will analyze how center of gravity affects performance.
- The student will demonstrate self and peer assessment in a sport drill.
- The student will develop a personal fitness plan incorporating the health components of fitness.
- The student will define the principles of overload, progression, specificity, regularity, and individuality and relationship to fitness improvement.
Units will include:
- Introduction - Personal Fitness
- Net/Wall Games
- Invasion/Goal Games
- Striking, Fielding and Target Games
- Science (7)
Talbot County's Grade 7 Science course is based the Maryland State Department of Education's Voluntary State Curriculum. The voluntary state curriculum may be viewed at http://www.mdk12.org/instruction/curriculum/science/index.html. The course is designed to meet all grade level appropriate standards and objectives.
Units of Study:
- Diversity of Life
This course includes an animal dissection activity (chicken leg). Alternative activities are available from the teacher. A written request from a parent or guardian must be submitted to the teacher.
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Wave Interactions
- Fine Arts Middle School
Students in grades 6-8 will be offered a variety of options in order to experience Fine Arts. Course offerings will encompass Music, Art and Theater. All courses will utilize the MSDE State Curriculum for the Arts and incorporate the Common Core State Standards for reading, writing, listening/speaking and performing. Students will be provided opportunities to participate in community art shows, theatrical productions and musical performances.
Middle School Courses:
- Instrumental Music
- Choral Music
- Visual Arts
- Performing Arts - Theater
- Social Studies (7)
World Cultures and Geography:
Grade 7 Social Studies will encompass "World Cultures and Geography". Using "Geography Alive" series (TCI Publishing),students will examine a variety of cultures around the world and see the impact on contemporary societies today from an economic, geographic and historic perspective. Also, a portion of the curriculum will be financial literacy and the use of the Stock Market Game to delve into the following concepts: saving and investing, money management, goods and services and the buying and selling of stocks. Common Core State Standards and C3 content will be utilized as we incorporate reading, writing and literacy into every unit of study. The required literature selection for grade 7 will include the reading and analyzing of, Red Scarf Girl by Ji-li Jiang.A countywide Service Learning unit will also required of all students.
- Exploratory Spanish (7)
This course introduces students to basic conversational Spanish. The units cover the basic vocabulary for greetings, weather, numbers, colors, classroom objects, family and home. Students explore the culture of selected Spanish speaking countries.