TALBOT COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
POLICY CODE- 1.6
EASTON, MD 21601
1. The Board of Education of Talbot County (Board) believes that every student in the school system should receive a high quality education so that every student can become a globally competitive graduate. The Board is committed to the success of every student in every school.
2. Raising achievement for all students and closing achievement gaps among all students are top priorities of the Board.
3. Disparities on the basis of race, special education status, sex, ethnicity, English language learner (ELL) status or socio-economic status are unacceptable and are directly at odds with the belief that all students can achieve. While complex societal and historical factors contribute to the inequities our students face, rather than perpetuating disparities, the school system must address and overcome inequity by providing all students with the opportunity to succeed.
1. To ensure that every relevant Board of Education (Board) policy, procedure, and practice provides educational equity.
2. To ensure every TCPS student is provided with equitable access to high quality and culturally relevant instruction, curriculum, support, and educational resources with the expected outcome of eliminating predictability and disproportionality.
3. To ensure teacher accountability through the observation and evaluation process and through sustained researched professional development surrounding student equity.
4. To ensure that the recruitment, hiring, support, and retention of culturally, racially, and linguistically diverse administrative, instructional, and support personnel to better reflect our diverse student population.
5. To identify annually whether the discipline process has any disproportionate impact on student groups, English language learner status students or special education students.
6. To include in any and all facilities plans for new construction and in the renovation of existing facilities, considerations of equity in access to twenty- first century learning environments.
1. Educational Equity:
a. Valuing unique identifiers of every student such as ability, age, ethnicity, sex, language, national origin, race, religion, and socioeconomic status;
b. Every student has access to the resources and educational rigor he/she needs; and
c. Appropriate academic, social, and economic supports are in place so that personal and social identifiers are not barriers or obstacles to accessing educational opportunities.
2. Achievement Gap: Significant and persistent disparities in academic performance or educational attainment between different groups of students.
3. Opportunity Gap: Perpetuation of lower educational expectations, aspirations, participation, and achievement for certain groups of students often as the result of factors such as race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, wealth, or familial situations.
IV. Legal References:
Annotated Code of Maryland, Education Article §4-101, Control and Promotion of Education
Annotated Code of Maryland, Education Article §7-305, Suspension and Expulsion
COMAR 13A.08.01.21, Reducing and Eliminating Disproportionate/ Discrepant Impact
COMAR 13A.04.05 Education That is Multicultural
Policy 1.2 Non-Discrimination
Policy 1.3 Education Philosophy
Policy 1.4 School System Goals and Objectives
Policy 1.5 Evaluation of Instructional Programs
Policy 10.1 Equal Educational Opportunities