TALBOT COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
POLICY CODE 4.12- AR
EASTON, MD 21601
EXPENSE REIMBURSEMENT-ADMINISTRATIVE REGULATION - AR
- I.Annotated Code of Maryland section 4-203 (b), (c), (1), (2) requires the provision and reimbursement of expense for professional travel and performance of duties.
Talbot County Board of Education hereby adopts the following guidelines for the direction of Board Members and staff members when traveling on official business for Talbot County Public Schools.
Board Members and staff members acknowledging the public trust and traveling on official business will exercise prudence in incurring expenses.
A.Routine Travel-Board Members
Annotated Code of Maryland section 4-107 (d) (3) (viii) specifies $300.00 annually for travel.
B. Routine Travel-Staff Members
For travel performed in the routine performance of their duties within Talbot County, staff members will use their own private automobiles. (An exception to the foregoing statement will be the Maintenance Department, where appropriate transportation will be supplied).
All staff who must travel in the performance of their duties are reimbursed on the basis of a mileage allowance established by the Internal Revenue Service unless previously determined by the superintendent and approved by the Board of Education. Mileage is calculated to include the distance from the central office or the base school to the points of professional activity and return to the base. They do not include allowance for travel from home to office and/or base and return.
II. Conference and Convention Travel
The Talbot County Public School finance office will make travel arrangements for all out of county conferences and conventions at the most reasonable rates and the least amount of time out of the county. This includes airfare, hotel, and/or car rental.
A. Specific Expenses Guidelines
When travel is by other than private automobile, reimbursement will be granted for travel subject to the following conditions:
- Surface travel - In addition to the mileage allowance, approval is granted for airport bus, limousine, taxi, tolls and parking charges as necessary.
- Travel note - Personnel who choose to travel out of state to a conference by surface travel when air travel is more economical will only be reimbursed the lesser amount (special permission from the superintendent is required in such cases.)
- Living accommodations - Whenever possible, accommodations should be made through the convention or housing bureau. Selections should be made in the moderate price range. All other hotel reservations are to be made by Talbot County Public Schools travel consultant.
- Meals - Meals are reimbursed (with receipts) up to $45.00 per day per person.
- Gratuities - Gratuities, when applicable, should not exceed the standard of the times. Alcoholic beverages are not reimbursable.
- Pre-Planning - When possible, all hotel accommodations and travel tickets should be arranged and paid for through the Finance Department. Convention registration, fees, and tickets are to be paid for by check request or purchase order in advance.
- Payments - At the conclusion of the conference, the traveler should confer with the Finance office and on proper forms, supply a listing of all conference related expenses and voucher for same. Payment will be made as early as is reasonably convenient following the travel, and based upon payment dates scheduled by the Finance office.
- Approval as needed - All applications for travel must be submitted at least 30 days in advance of the date(s) when the travel is to occur. The submittal must be in writing, supply name and destination of conference, possible housing, and travel information, dates, and possible total cost. Exception to the above require the Superintendent's approval.
- Family members traveling with employees will make their own travel arrangements. Any additional cost of room, or land transfers will be reimbursed back to Talbot County Public Schools.
- The travel agreement must be signed by anyone traveling out of state for Talbot County Public Schools before any travel arrangements will be made.
Talbot County Public Schools
P.O. Box 1029
Easton, MD 21601
I, the undersigned, agree to travel on the date, time, and method selected by the Board of Education. In the event I decline the arrangements made for me by the Board of Education on the date, time, and method, I will reimburse the Board of Education for all out of pocket costs that incur due to the change made by me.
I also understand I will NOT be reimbursed for any cost exceeding the ticket price for any alternative transportation or difference in cost should I choose to make a change in travel arrangements.
My signature below binds me to the above agreement. I authorize Talbot County Public Schools to make any deductions that may be necessary due to out of pocket expenses incurred by my change in travel arrangements from my next paycheck or compensation check after the travel date.
Print Name as Appears on