TALBOT COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
POLICY CODE- 9.23
EASTON, MD 21601
LIBRARY MATERIALS SELECTION
I. The Talbot County Board of Education recognizes that the primary objective of the library media program is to support, implement, and enrich the total educational program of the school. It will be the responsibility of the library media program to provide a wide range of materials in a variety of formats and on many levels of difficulty, with diversity of appeal and differing points of view.
II. Therefore, the Board wishes to emphasize the following specific responsibilities of the Library Media Program:
- to provide materials that will enrich and support the curriculum, taking into consideration the varied interests, abilities, and maturity levels of the students served.
- to provide materials that will stimulate growth in factual knowledge, literary appreciation, aesthetic values, and ethical standards.
- to provide a background of information that will enable students to make intelligent judgments in their daily lives.
- to provide materials in a variety of formats to enable the students to become self-directed learners.
- to provide materials on opposing sides of controversial issues so that young citizens may develop, under guidance, the practice of critical analysis of media.
- to provide materials representative of the many religious, ethnic, and cultural groups and their contributions to our American heritage.